North End Capacity Study
School Board Information
MOUNT MANSFIELD MODIFIED UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD VOTES YES ON REPURPOSING OF
UNDERHILL ID ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
RICHMOND, VT November 6, 2018. The Mount Mansfield Modified Union School District (MMMUSD) School Board approved a motion directing Superintendent, John R. Alberghini to reassign kindergarten through fourth grade students from the Underhill ID Elementary School (UID) to the Jericho Elementary School (JES) and the Underhill Central School (UCS) beginning with the 2019-2020 school year.
The decision comes following a comprehensive district study detailing expanded student opportunities and operational efficiencies offered by repurposing the school. The study was commissioned in the Fall 2017 by the MMMUSD School Board in response to concerns of declining enrollment and underutilized space. The combined enrollment for the schools has fallen by 38% since 1990.
Under the new reconfiguration, students from Jericho will attend JES and Underhill students UCS. MMMUSD does offer school choice so that families can select any school in the district limited to building capacity. The plan will not result in a reduction in the number of classroom teachers or an increase in average class sizes. Students will have greater access to guidance counselors, nurses, and librarians. While this change reduces overall costs, increased student opportunity and education quality are the ultimate goals.
The redistribution of students to the two elementary schools allows for a repurposing of the UID school building by moving Central Office to the site. The district’s north end pre-K providers will also be housed at UID, which features an open floor plan ideal for play-based early education. The repurposed space could open the door for expanded opportunities for children birth to age three, seniors, and recreation programming in the area.
Superintendent Alberghini and the board recognize the significant change for some students, families, and staff and commit to engaging stakeholders in determining the best transition activities. “This is an exciting opportunity for our communities to come together and create the best possible educational environment for our students,” Board Chair, Andrew Pond said.
Links and Documents
- Minutes from 11/5/18 MMMUSD School Board Meeting
- Transition letter 11/6/2018
- Minutes from 10/17/18 Community Forum
- Repurposing UID School -- Fact Sheet
- North End Capacity Study Follow Up
- Community Forum Exit Card Responses
- Notes from Group Discussions held at Community Forums
- Minutes from 9/24/18 Community Forum
- Minutes from 9/12/18 Community Forum
- Powerpoint Presentation from North End Capacity Study Forum on 9/12/18
- North End Capacity Study Follow Up Questions
- North End Capacity Study Document
- Frequently Asked Questions Document
- Minutes from June 11, 2018 Community Forum
- NY Times Article 6/13/18: School's Closed. Forever
North End Capacity Study Presentation